Powered By Blogger

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Define: damage

For a whole 48 hours, the first level of our house is submerged in waist-deep flood water. Much of our common household items swam and floated, while we camp out in our small room. Today, the rain finally stopped, and the flood water finally subsided. We began sweeping and checking what damages have happened.

Some of my clothes, a few bedsheets that I bought from Singapore, a lot of CDs and kitchen items were wasted. The washing machine was floating. It will be a few days before I can actually plug it in and do anything useful with it. The fridge almost floated, thank goodness it didn't.

Out of all the things that I've had to clean up or throw away, the one thing that disappointed was a pack of Chips-A-Hoy cookies in the fridge. When we defrosted the fridge, the freezer water seeped down to the rest of the food that's on the lower levels, including my cookies. They were soaked with freezer water through and through.

As soon as I saw the soaked cookies, I felt an incredible sadness over it.

A few hours of cleaning later, I felt relieved and glad. Out of all the things that got soaked in the water and rendered unusable, the one thing I was disappointed over was a bag of cookies that I can replace easily from the grocery. I wasn't sad about the soaked clothes, or the imported bed sheets. Not about the prized office papers of old workshop materials.

Either we didn't have a lot of damage, or I can finally tell the real things that matter from the ones that don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment