Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Define: cramming

After spending almost my entire shift at work thinking about what to write for today, I write about something completely the opposite.

(Disclaimer: Let it be known that I was still working on my projects and tasks in the office. It was just the "back of my head" that was thinking about what to write for today, not all of it.)


Today's post would've been titled define: free time, a post about books I read, movies I've seen and some other activities that filled my idle time last year. It was a year of firsts after all, and I wanted to write about that. As you can see, I'm writing about the total opposite of having free time: cramming.

Saturday is going to be my first class ever for my Master's program in UPOU (University of the Philippines - Open University; as an Instructional Designer, I've developed a tick to define all acronyms when it appears the first time). I have a vague memory of being told that I should get my learning materials nearer the date of the first class, which in my mind, means I'm free not to think about my schooling ALL December. So there I was, reading Pride and Prejudice, watching Tron, Christmas gift shopping, snoozing and napping and visiting bazaars where I end up not buying anything but the entrance ticket.

Today, I called up the office to follow up on my "materials" and received instructions for a lot of different things instead. I neglected to check my other email account, where a welcome email was sent, detailing the many tasks I should've done during December - requesting for an account being the primary one. Without this account, I can't join the January 8 class and I can't download any of my course guides or modules.

Some things I learned from this latest cramming experience:
1. If you maintain several email addresses, check each one of them daily, or set up a filter for forwarding to a master email address.
2. Research what you need instead of waiting to be told. It's the age of forums, tweets, and constant gut-spilling by people. Surely, the information is out there.
3. Perform your tasks with open eyes, not half asleep. I'm pretty sure I was half asleep during enrollment, and so didn't bother with the details.

Jessie, a friend of very sensible and logical mind, sort of prepared me for something like this. He told me UPOU programs are self-study-intensive. You have to be willing to do the work and always be active online. I believed him this morning, and I believe him now even more.

Good bye free time, school time is here. I will try to write about you some day in between trips to the bathroom or while eating a 5-minute lunch.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, that's pretty hectic. Here's to a Handle Bar drink soon, before things start picking up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for always reading, Megzy :) a beer would be super. An iced tea, more useful :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Kumare, profound thoughts from a profound mind... Hindi talaga kami nagkamali sa pag pili sayo bilang ninang ;-)... I'm jealous your getting a Masters Degree!? KUDOS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, while youre in the habit of defining acronyms, why dont you also getin thr habit of putting double quoteson titles. Stylistic considerations i suppose made you keep the titles in lower case. The "i" that i (perfect timing) type is lower case because of technical, device-related limitation.

    The tipto stay awake is good. But i dont recall performing a task half asleep. That is a physical impossibility, hence i think im not alone in saying that. So what does it mean to be half asleep?

    After the two statements that don'tsound very nice, i (there it is again) will compliment you for the courage to make your own accessible literary showcase. The expectation of something casual took me off the normal balance, because, contrary to the norm, this is evidently very existentialist in tone. Although it looks (sounds) like someone is narrating for a How I Met Your Mother episode.

    The challenge i forsee is keeping the diligence to maintain the effort, moving forward.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy new year, happy new blog, happy new master's program! - Define: Blog fan in Singapore

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for reading!

    @Rod - yup, I start this Sat. It's a fully online course, thus the blog hehe. I need to practice my "online presence".

    @THE SOURCE - thank you for greetings! Glad you enjoyed this one. Happy new year to you too!

    @Kenneth - I need more time to read your comment. lolol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck and enjoy your new hobby! He he

    I can’t believe you just started believing me the other morning. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  8. @James - I always believe you. I said I believed you "even more" that morning. Direct translation: "bilib na bilib ako sa 'yo" haha

    ReplyDelete